Monday, May 17, 2010

striving for grace: holding back with the old familiar.


Old-fashioned is my thing, my style. I do not follow trends, and in fact, I detest trends. I don't care what everyone else around me does. I just want to be me. I strive with all my best to be nothing but a classic, all-American girl who wants nothing more than a simple "your grandmother probably wore it" outfit. I cannot remember a time in my life that I wasn't drawn to the classic style of fashion and life. I'm a sucker for anything vintage, from clothes, movies, to music. I have have probably watched more old movies and listened to more old music than the average girl my age. I grew up on it, and cannot imagine my life without it. It's me in a nutshell. I know that our world only moves forward with time, life, technology, and everything else in between, but here I sit, and I look back and see a world that I wish I could have called my own. Yes, I look back, and I am not afraid to. I say my grandmother was one privileged lady.

I am a Grace Kelly fanatic. I love her grace, poise, cool beauty, class, style, and the character she possessed. She is definitely among my ever so many other classic old things I admire and love. I love the simple way she saw herself, and the love she had for people. She didn't understand why culture raved over her style, and put on her on the style icon pedestal. She didn't understand the fuss they made over her. For her, she was simply being herself and doing what she had been brought up to be. That's what made her special. She unknowingly made a difference in the world by not trying to be something she wasn't. She was a frugal person who didn't care if the world thought she was outdated. Grace was a truly lovely lady, and a lady whom I think must have been very sweet and beautiful within.
She was known for white gloves and a lady who was proper and gentile in every way. Although she left the earth being remembered for her acting, her beauty, white gloves, her Hermes "Kelly" bag, pearl strands, and her trademark sunglasses, she left more than a fashion legacy behind, but a princess who resembled every aspect of propriety, grace, poise, and a love for people.

No comments: