Monday, August 15, 2011

almost autumn. closing out college.




My beloved season is quickly approaching. As it creeps its way into view, I feel it in the air and I see it at the end of the day when the sun goes down. This makes me happy, and is the one thing I love about going back to school in autumn. I delight over the crunch underfoot the leaves make, and the crisp chill in the air. I know, I'm kind of ridiculous about this season, but it can't be helped.



My last semester of college will start in two weeks. It's an exciting thing to know that I will be finished with school before the year is out, and that graduation is only 4 months away. In just two weeks, I will be tackling the last 12 hours of my education, and will shortly receive my bachelors with pride and joy on December 16!



In January, I will be embarking on a different kind of life. A life that I haven't always seen myself a part of, and don't know if I ever fully will. People have asked me time and again about what I want to do after graduation, and the truth is, I am still trying to understand that. I'm still finding my way in the world. I would give a gold star to every person that doesn't ask if I want to teach. I understand that it's the assumed occupation when I tell them I'm an English major, but two years ago I was told by my professor that there are many things an English major can do, and teaching is just one of them.



This fall, my favorite recording artist will release her tenth album titled Invisible Empires on October 18. Sara Groves is a remarkable artist who brings her individuality to the table and creates a unique and creative style that is "genreless." Her faith in God is an inspiration to me and her music takes a refreshing approach on the subjects of Christ in our daily lives and how we can be used by Him to spread seeds of hope and love abroad. She is one of the most inspirational and influential women I've ever met, and it is an honor to listen to her music as well as her words of wisdom. Sometimes it's her stories behind her music that make it the best part about her song lyrics. If you have not listened to her, you're missing a beautiful thing.



This summer I have been practicing the piano more, and merely playing for my own enjoyment. My piano teacher would have been proud that I still tickle the ivories after all those years of lessons. I see the piano as my little place of comfort, joy, and inspiration. When I sit down at my musical haven and place my fingers on the black and white keys, I discover new things.



"Bless the LORD, all his works in all places of his dominion. Bless the LORD, O my soul!" - Psalm 103:22

























No comments: